Brake fluid is a type of hydraulic fluid that is responsible for the proper functioning of your car’s brake system. It is necessary to replace the brake fluid periodically to assure proper brake system functioning. It is recommended to check the brake fluid levels weekly. Here are a few reasons why brake fluid important for cars.
Importance of Brake Fluid in Cars
- Brake fluid plays a vital role in your braking system. When you push down on the brake pedal, the brake fluid transfers the force you create and in turn, this causes your vehicle to come to a stop.
- Brake fluids protect the lining of metal parts, the valves, and the cylinders and calipers. It also protects the metal components from corrosion.
- Without brake fluid, your car’s brakes won’t work properly and you will be driving at high risk.
- Brake fluid also helps to prevent failure from electronic components as found in your Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS).
The brake fluid should be changed periodically because it degrades over time due to the moisture absorbed from the air. The major factors that will let you know if you need to change the brake fluid are:
- The delay in the reaction time of the brake system.
- Color of the brake fluid. If the liquid has a dark color then it should be changed immediately.
It is recommended to change the brake fluid at least once every two years. There are a variety of brake fluid types and it is important to choose the right fluid for your vehicle. Refer to your owner’s manual or ask your auto service technician to use the best break fluid for your car.
Check the brake fluid regularly and if you ever feel that there is an issue with your braking system, talk to your mechanic right away. You should never take any chances when it comes to your car brakes as it is better to be safe than sorry.
If you find the above information valuable than you may also like this blog 6 Car Fluids That Are Essential